Saturday, August 27, 2005

that spike in your brain

    The mate and I were shopping in the Big Box (tm) when we noticed the air above us was vibrating with that Rupert Holmes song about pina coladas and getting caught in the rain. "Damn, and I actually liked that song when it came out. Rupert was savvy and funny and cynical." (And now you know how old I am.)
    "It is a catchy tune," the mate had to admit. "It's worse than Copacabana, I think."
    "Yeah."
    "And it's hilarious how they're all delighted to find each other, and get all cozy, when they were meaning to cheat."
    "Yeah."
    And since then we haven't been able to get it out of our heads.

    In an attempt at exorcism, we've decided to add some final lyrics:

I looked at my lady
and I said, So you intended to go
then she called me an asshole
So I yelled, see I married a ho'
And then someone called the police
I was thrown in a cell
Well, after I hanged myself
The devil said, Welcome to hell

(And here) We sing of pina coladas
and getting caught in the rain
But it don't give relief
There's no champagne for the flames
If you had prayed to me at midnight
Black candles and capes
You would get a shovel
But now there is no escape

No comments: