Wednesday, October 26, 2005

avatar courtesy Christine Y.

My dear friend Christy has made me a new avatar (right). Makes me look better than me, and the original size has incredible detail that unfortunately doesn't show in the avatar size. She's one hell of an artist in all the good ways, and none of the bad. The color depth is just about right, as good as those of a mutual friend of ours, whose ability to translate color into grey shades amaze both of us. Christy needs to draw a hawk so he (who only draws hawks) can be wowed, even though his saturnine nature will probably say, "Oh, not bad."

To balance this out, I'm going to rave. Christy likes me to sit for her because I can stay perfectly still for an hour, and because I don't insist on smiling for cameras. She does everything at least twice: take a photo, sketch, polish the sketch into a drawing, then compare and adjust. Wonderfully obsessive-compulsive. The way she explains it: exactly copying a photograph automatically loses a key element, liveliness. It flattens. In order to be "right," a drawing must keep its elan, capture something in the subject's spirit that characterizes him/her. This one makes me look like a BOFH, which I am by nature, if no longer by vocation.

I love it. Christy, you're the best.

10 comments:

max inclined said...

> Sean Biggler said...
> Super blog you have here! Does it
> have an RSS feed? I really want to
> put this type of information on
> one of my websites somewhere...
> anyway, just thought I'd ask
> because i really like you blog.
> Bookmarked you!

> maybe you could give me some
> advice on my blog or site...
> Making Out - French Kissing Tips.
> well,
> ~ keep up the great work ~

I advise you to practice on a warm, moist material like dogsh*t.
Spammer scum.

Anonymous said...

My grayscale perception is *improving* but it's not yet Mark-quality. Ordering my CDs by release year does *not* make me obsessive compulsive. Plus you're a fine one to talk on that subject.
But thanks.

max inclined said...

You're welcome. And no, we won't talk about Ordering Compact Discs. Nor any other curious deportments of yours or mine.

Anonymous said...

*splorf* missed that

Lady Fedora said...

i like the new avatar. your friend Christine really is amazing! does she draw mostly photorealism?

Anonymous said...

I copy photos sometimes for fun but mostly just sketch. He's the only person I can take/get the time to draw photorealistically because he's the only person I know with an attention span longer than 5 mins. If he's bored to tears, it doesn't show. What a mensch, nu? ;)

max inclined said...

Mensch and proud. Oh sheesh, cy, now you've sparked my Jewish half to an anti-Salami rampage. pm me - posting here is utter crap.

Anonymous said...

It just occurred to me that you'd better explain this statement in public so no one including your lovely wife misconstrues this.

max inclined said...

Along with the facts that getting to comments is awkward as hell and you can't edit what you wrote, that's why this system is crap. It makes public an arena that is usually (and better) kept private: inside jokes, nicknames and other aspects that develop the language of friends. cy calls me Salami because my last name (bestowed on me by my holy non-Italian-nor-salami-making French Canadian ancestors), if stretched, racked and tortured, sounds a teeeeensy micro minuscule iota like it. To belabor this point to death and grind the particles into the dirt, salami, being made of pork products, is treif or non halal, not to be ingested by Jews, Muslims, Hindus, and certain African tribes who have received a Muslim influence. Being a nonpracticing Jew and a happy ingester of bacon cheeseburgers, butter-fried chicken, and filet milkshakes, this does not normally matter to me. However, to be called both a mensch AND a salami by a the same person, a certain woman who signs with the characters see why quote, %^&*^(##a#
< NO CARRIER >
< me > takes a bow

Anonymous said...

roflmao and bravo! cy'