Wednesday, November 22, 2006

the hawk god watches

Interesting thing on Sunday. We're out hawking (the mate came along too yes!!) and had a couple good chases, but no catches yet. Out of the blue comes a young woman who told us she'd seen an injured hawk flopping around on the edge of I-5. She'd been heading toward the City but saw this bird, and simply had to turn around for it.

We're talking about 5 miles to the next place to turn south, 5 miles back, and another 4 miles to the next place to turn north again, so we're talking some dedication here.

And as she's taking her northward turn, she just so happens to spot a person walking around a field with a hawk on the glove. Yrs truly. So she trots out into the field and asks us what she should do.

We hashed around a bit. Honestly I wanted to catch something first and consider the hawking finished, but my better sense, a.k.a. better half, took over. The girl had a special thing for hawks, the mate said, so I should respect that. I packed up the hawk with a couple quail legs as compensation, and we followed the girl's car.

We pulled off just past the bird. I knew it was dead, but we all came over and had a look. A clean-looking tiercel redtail, and still even a tiny bit warm. A real shame to be cut down like that. I babbled some nonsense about him having had a good life. He did have good-looking feet, reminded me a lot of my first tiercel RT. I picked him up and gave him to the girl, who took him off the road and laid him in some brush. We had a few moments of silence.

The mate gave her one of P's feathers, which luckily happened to be tucked into my car visor. It seemed to give her a little sunshine in this sad moment. Then we all smiled at each other and she drove onward into the dark.

2 comments:

C. Y. Noquote said...

Happy Thanksgiving to 'm' and 'd' and 'p' from 'c'. (Ever notice we're all roman numerals? yay!) Did p get his usual thksgiv chickie?

max inclined said...

He got his chickie though this is the first time I've heard P was a Roman numeral :) . Good to hear from you, it's been a while.