Friday, November 10, 2006

Layman's genius

I've said it before, I'll say it again: jump-ups really do work. Since my actual hunting has slowed down, I've been giving P 100-150 jumps every other day. The exercise translates into a beautiful crisp snap to the wings, and lengthier and more interesting chases. Catching game is a breeze and his attitude is so much better -- less sulking accipiter, more "let's go" Harris. Hawking like this is nothing but fun.

The exercise I believe really does have an effect on the psychology, not just the muscles. Even though it's just up to the glove, the repeated effort which may not (or may) result in a food reward seems to tell the hawk to keep trying. Ending the session with a larger chunk of meat tells the hawk this is the result. And I don't know how, but it translates into the field seamlessly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so...is it you thats jumping, or the hawk?

Anonymous said...

so...is it you thats jumping, or the hawk?