Monday, December 04, 2006

vietnamese shrimp cake

After Googling without success for a recipe, I put a plea out on what seemed to be the only Vietnamese discussion board I could find and got a reply a few days later. Then I had to ask for the reply in English :D but I got the basic recipe.

Here's what I did and it turned out great.
1 lb shrimp - processed half into paste and the other half into a coarse chop
2 cloves garlic, minced
half a can water chestnuts, coarse chop
3 green onion sprigs sliced fine
1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp sesame oil

Combine all ingredients, spread a half-inch layer on bean curd sheets, wrap the sheet around the top and fry or deep-fry about 6 minutes or so, just long enough to cook the shrimp.

I have no previous experience with beancurd sheets and learned I shouldn't soak them overnight... next time I'll try the flat kind, the scrunchy kind just doesn't work.

No comments: