Sunday, March 18, 2007

ironies

My doctor prescribed me something because I put on too many pounds after quitting smoking. (Still quit, yay me, 4 cigs since Dec 1.) My cholesterol was borderline already before I quit so I don't want to know what it's like now. The drug is Adipex, basically amphetamines and appetite suppressant. I can feel a buzz in my upper jaw and a little in my shoulders, it's not too bad, food is pretty uninteresting, and I start noticing all the crap that needs to be done around the house that's been neglected since the mate plowed downhill. So the house got a pretty good cleaning today. If I'm mentally engaged in activities I tend to forget to eat and drink, which in this situation is good (the eating part, not the drinking. Fortunately, the drug gives me a noticeably dry mouth, so that's covered.) Next stop, the 1040A form.

While I'm speeded up, the mate is slowed down. For the past year she's described her shortness of breath (which happens doing even the smallest tasks) as feeling like being waterboarded. The visceral fear of drowning, happening all the time. And it's gotten worse recently. I have a very hard time imagining worse. In response she and her doctors are experimenting with morphine and another tranquilizer to calm the fear, but it makes her sleepy all the time, and spacey. I have a somewhat hard time with this -- I think of morphine as the pre-death drug -- but she could sure use a vacation from those sensations.

2 comments:

Leann said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Leann said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.