Friday, November 02, 2007

I wish there were backpack camcorders

Well, there are, but it's nothing I could afford. I got started late again, so I figured I should get P some exercise before finding no slips with an anxious hawk. Exploring, I found a small field between buildings, and it turned out to have one jackrabbit in it. It was good to see him give chase and grab. He grabbed seriously enough to make the jack squeal, but didn't get a controlling grip, and got thrown off.

Then we were off to find our regular quarry, and as I expected, a slip was pretty hard to find. We drove around for about 45 minutes, and I was ready to call it a day when we spotted a single bird on a green strip, and a sentry on a pole above. It was just after five and traffic was heavier than usual (though still light by city standards.) I wanted to time things so the oncoming was clear, and got it nearly right; a half-second later would have been perfect. We were almost parallel to the bird just as the last oncoming car passed. P was perfectly ready, I tossed him up (rather than out, and I could feel he was a bit startled by the move) and he went high over the tail of the car, sailed down and slammed the quarry flat. It was such a complete surprise the sentry should have committed harakiri in shame.

No comments: