Sunday, March 16, 2008

packing

The most time consuming bit of this is packing, so I'm starting right away. I have way too many books. I'm also too sentimental about them: if it's a classic or good reading, I want to hang onto it even though I haven't read it in a decade and if I do, I can pick up a copy for a few dollars or find it in the library. I have an incredibly hard time applying the "if you haven't used it in 5 years, toss" rule. Books simply have a value that somehow transcends practicality.

I ditched four boxes of them from the garage last week and still have three down there. Upstairs, I have what will probably be six or seven more boxes, and these are larger boxes (apple boxes rather than paper-ream boxes).

And this is well before getting to my other household stuff: furniture, treasures, wall art, appliances and dishware, and too many computers.

No comments: