Friday, December 05, 2008

bye bye RT

Well, she still wasn't eating by this morning. I don't know if I've just forgotten how long it takes for a redtail to tame down, or if I'm just a lot less patient about it than I used to be. I just wasn't happy with the amount of progress we had made. She didn't eat until I left her alone with a chunk of meat. She was pretty hungry and eventually I was able to pick her up and she continued eating there, but after less than 3 oz she got wary and starey again.

All RTs are good birds, but some just aren't worth the time. I'm pretty sure all of my RTs ate on the glove within 4 days, and stopped doing the full flare-up within that time as well.

So... I hooded her, drove back to where I trapped her, and let her go.

1 comment:

Steve Bodio said...

Some are like that!

The new falcon,a theoretical imprint but more like a LATE chamber raised, is a bit. He'll eat on the fist but wants to bolt, fights (not ducks-- he BITES it) the hood, and gets more aggressive as his weight goes down.

He is actually rather appealing but an idiot-- an infant with a bad attitude. He just figured out he can fly! I think his boldness will be an asset when he learns he is a bird.

I hope.