Thursday, May 14, 2009

six weeks and silliness

A short while back, a falconer friend in Pennsylvania and I were joking about the Silver SUV of Death and WWII planes. This convo led to my purchase of a rubber stamp of a crow on Ebay. Since I didn't want to mess with my car, and besides, I juggle enough things car hawking already, I started stamping the wall in the hawk's room.
The little half-stamp is for the starling. The upside-down one is for the accidental take of a human-edible bird. (Roasted, with apple and jam stuffing. Eminently edible.)

Speaking of starlings, I've been stowing all small birds in the freezer in anticipation of a small raptor to feed them to. On a whim I decided to step up the action and built a starling nest trap.
This crazy monster is a birdhouse mounted on a 4" sewer pipe. A starling takes a peek inside and sees an eligible nest (artfully faked up with twigs, grass, and a hot glue gun.) Then, in theory, the starling gets so excited at the prospect of nest theft that it leaps in, and instead of landing in the nest, falls through the hole in the bottom of the birdhouse -- aaaaaaaahhhhhhhiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeee! -- down the pipe and to the bend. It then sees light (yes, at the end of the tunnel), and walks into a wire cage at the end, where it conveniently finds food, water, and eventual freezing.

I have no idea if anything will happen. I hear them every day, but I know the flock is quite small. Just a bit of nonsense to spice up the season.

No comments: