Saturday, April 24, 2010

gone over to the dark side

Yep, I've done it... gotten a facebook account. I'm posting there and not here. For the miniscule number of people who actually read this blog, I'll update.

In February, I put Mr P in a breeding project, only to learn he's somewhere between an imprint and a misprint. I've emailed a breeder friend for advice. If he won't breed naturally with a female Harris, he might become a semen donor... we'll see.

It was something of a surprise to realize how much excitement hawking brings, and how one gets used to having it. I had never thought of myself as adrenalin-addicted, but apparently I had withdrawal. I haven't been without a hawk in about 8 years, and found myself itching to get out and hunt something. The pellet rifle gave me some replacement satisfaction, though it's not quite the same.

Recently I bought a nice shotgun from Steve Bodio and am trying to re-learn how to shoot one of those.

I took a class in TIG welding and built a couple of stainless steel perches. Fourteen words isn't enough to describe an entire month of effort, frustration, and deep satisfaction. I'm learning, I'll still be learning, and it's great.

2 comments:

Steve Bodio said...

Hmm- I wonder what a small portable indoor bow or ring perch-- for an Aplo- might cost...

Max Inclined said...

I'll price out the materials and get back to you. The bow perch is a lot less frustrating to make -- about 1/4 of the welding time as a rotating ring perch.

I made a nice collapsible bow perch for my friend Anna. Photos in the Project Perch album on facebook. That one was 26" wide, I could make something similar but much smaller.